The New Guyana School uses the A Beka Curriculum. For more information about A Beka, click here.
Our preschool program is two years and focuses on two major themes:
• Verbally counting to 30, counting items they select and using each number up to 15 with accuracy;
• Grouping items and demonstrating an understanding of number operations, which are components of critical-thinking skills;
• Associating numbers with their corresponding quantities in groups containing up to five items.
• Further developing communication skills by building their vocabularies and expanding their language skills by using words to refer to and describe familiar people, animals and objects;
• Using materials in new and creative ways to symbolize something else;
• Engaging in imaginative play and using props to learn about the dramatic arts, which help develop creativity skills. This can include exploring roles that are interesting or familiar.
• Understanding turn-taking, developing the capacity to wait and communicating to others when it is their turn, which are necessary for self-regulation, a component of social-emotional intelligence;
• Proposing a solution to their peers and working cooperatively to help solve a problem, which demonstrate executive function, collaboration and critical-thinking skills;
• Playing cooperatively with a small group of children and forming unique, authentic friendships with classmates for a short tim